Jatoli Shiv Temple is very famous shiv temple in Solan Himachal Pradesh. If a tourist wants to see a grand and spectacular temple, perched on a hill top then Jatoli Shiv temple is the place to be. Jatoli gets its name from the long Jata (hair) that Lord Shiva has. Considered as Asia’s highest Shiv temple, this shrine is indeed an architectural marvel. Jatoli Shiv Temple is one of the famous holy destinations of Solan which attract a large number of pilgrims and is only 6 Kms from the city.
Multiple fables and stories are associated with the history of Jatoli Shiv Temple. It is one of the oldest temples of Lord Shiv where an ancient linga is the also placed since a long time. It is believed that the temple was once the resting place of Lord Shiva.
The temple is made in typical Southern-Dravidian style architecture and is made of three consecutive pyramids. On the first pyramid, one can see the image of Lord Ganesha while on second pyramid there is a sculpture of Shesh Naag. Jatoli Shiv Temple holds the tag of being the highest temple in Asia; it took 39 years to complete the construction of the temple.
On the northeast corner of the temple, there is a water tank called ‘Jal Kund’ which is considered as pious as the holy river Ganga. The water of this tank is said to have some medicinal qualities that can treat skin diseases. There is a cave inside the temple where Swami Krishnananda Paramhans Ji resided. This ancient temple is famous for its annual fair, which is conducted during the festival of Mahashivratri. A number of devotees gather in the temple to offer prayers.
How to reach Jatoli Shiv Temple
Jatoli Shiv Temple is located in the Jatoli village near Solan in Himachal Pradesh, India. Here are the different modes of transportation to reach the temple:
- By Road: The temple can be easily reached by road as it is well-connected by a network of roads. Solan is the nearest town, and from there, the temple is about 10 kilometers away. One can hire a taxi or take a bus from Solan to reach the temple.
- By Air: The nearest airport is Chandigarh International Airport, which is about 55 kilometers away from the temple. From the airport, one can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach the temple.
- By Train: The nearest railway station is Kalka Railway Station, which is about 45 kilometers away from the temple. From there, one can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach the temple.
Places to visit near Jatoli Shiv Temple in Solan
Jatoli Shiv Temple is located in a scenic area of Himachal Pradesh, and there are several other places of interest that can be visited nearby. Here are some of the popular tourist attractions near Jatoli Shiv Temple:
- Karol Tibba: Karol Tibba is a popular trekking destination located near Jatoli Shiv Temple. It is also known as the Karol Peak and offers a panoramic view of the surrounding mountains.
- Mohan Shakti National Heritage Park: Mohan Shakti National Heritage Park is an open-air museum located near Jatoli Shiv Temple. The park is spread over 40 acres and showcases the rich cultural heritage of India.
- Dagshai Cantonment: Dagshai Cantonment is a British-era military base located near Jatoli Shiv Temple. The cantonment has several colonial-era buildings and offers a glimpse of the British military history in the region.
- Kali Mata Temple: Kali Mata Temple is a popular Hindu temple located in Kalka, which is about 40 kilometers away from Jatoli Shiv Temple. The temple is dedicated to Goddess Kali and is believed to be very powerful.
- Chail: Chail is a popular hill station located about 35 kilometers away from Jatoli Shiv Temple. It is known for its beautiful natural scenery and offers several outdoor activities like trekking, camping, and nature walks.